One of the best parts of retirement, and especially retirement at a senior community, is that so many things in your life get simplified. No more work, no more big house to maintain and keep clean, no more chores fro the most part. Instead, you finally get to focus on living life to its fullest. Still, even if there’s no more waxing linoleum and sheets to wash, a little spring cleaning can make your home feel as new and fresh as the season itself. We’ve got a few easy ideas for how you can air out your daily routine and make sure life goes extra smoothly all spring and summer long:
- Manage your medications. It can be easy to get boggled by all the different pills and timing each of your doses just as the doctor ordered. This is a great opportunity to remove any pill bottles past their expiration dates or that hold medicines you are no longer taking. Never flush or throw out unused pills, liquid medications, ointments, etc. They could harm the environment. The find out where you can safely dispose of unused medications, call the Indiana Department of Environmental Management's Office of Pollution Prevention and Technical Assistance at (800) 988-7901, extension 3-6660. They can advise you where the nearest drop off location is or when the next drug take back event will be held.
- Tax day has come and gone, so it’s safe to file away your financial statements and other paperwork. Be careful to shred any documents you don’t want to store or won’t need in the future— you don’t want to be a victim of identity theft! There are a number of shredding services in Indianapolis, including Shred Monkey and Just Shred that will ensure your private details stay just that, private. It’s also a good time to make sure your loved ones have the information they need to access your safe deposit box, accounts, and financial records in case of emergency.
- Swap out your winter clothes for spring and summer. You’ll want all your light things front and center in your closet and in the drawers of your dresser that are easiest to open. Store away your heavier things in the back of the closet, a bottom drawer, or in under-bed storage containers, garment bags, or vacuum pack bags. There are so many different organizational tools these days that a quick shopping trip to Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond, the Container Store or IKEA should have just the thing you need to keep your out-of-season items out of the way when not in use.
- Spring is a great time to attend to all the little errands or projects that you haven’t gotten around to, or didn’t want to tangle with in cold, wet weather. If your jewelry needs to be repaired or cleaned, for example, if there are winter coats or duvets that need to be dry cleaned, or houseplants in need of repotting, now is a great time to take advantage of the pleasant spring weather and tackle these tasks. Even better if you can do them with a friend or family member!
- Rearrange your space. Maybe over the winter you realized that your furniture isn’t quite in the right place, or that you have small frustrations as you move about the rooms. A friend or family member can help you move the big pieces to rework the space. If you’re worried about tripping on a rug, for example, you can take it up or reposition it away from a high-traffic area. Bedside tables could be swapped out for ones that line up better with the bed, and so on. There’s no reason to put up with minor inconveniences when a quick spring cleaning rearrangement can help to make the rest of your year worry-free!