Wondering what to do with yourself now that you’ve got all the time in the world? Your golden years are a golden opportunity for new adventures and making your oldest pastimes new again. From travel to learning to letting your creative side shine, we have five recommendations that could make your days even more fun and exciting:
- Many people have a bucket list of all the places they want to see, but as much fun as exploring new places can be, it can also be fun and exciting to revisit places from your past. It might be fun to retrace the steps of your honeymoon, visit your college town, or have a friend reunion at the lake house you stayed in long ago. It could be an great way to jog your memories and relive some of your happiest times.
- Serving as a docent at a local museum or volunteering at a library not only gives back to the community, but lets you lean something new and meet plenty of friendly faces. Start with your interests, whether it’s history, art, or a love for children and seek out local opportunities from there. The Indianapolis Museum of Art, Eiitelijorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, Indiana State Museum, The Children’s Museum, Conner Prairie Interactive History Park, Indiana Medical History Museum, and Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum are all great places to start.
- If you haven’t been in a play since middle school, now might be the time to revisit the dramatic arts. From monologues to full scale plays and musicals, you’ll have a lot of fun, get up and moving around, and test your memory as you learn your lines. Check out the Footlite Musicals group at the Herdback Theater, the Buck Creek Players, Theater on the Square, and Indianapolis Civic Theater for opportunities to get involved.
- As the old line goes, “You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.”Get involved with a fun sport in your area, from bowling and golf to cycling, tennis, or volley boll. You can look to what’s organized at your retirement community, through a local gym, or with a website like www.meetup.com that makes it easy for people with common interests to get together for an activity or event.
- Crossword puzzles, sudoku, solitaire, and jigsaw puzzles are all a great way to keep your mind sharp while having fun. There are more ways than ever to order new puzzles thanks to online stores like www.amazon.com or online puzzle archives at http://www.nytimes.com/crosswords/index.html?page=home&_r=0.